delightedreader

Delighted Reader

Lord of the Vampires (Royal House of Shadows, #1)

Lord of the Vampires (Royal House of Shadows, #1) - Gena Showalter Lord of the Vampires is the first book in a series of siblings who's kingdom is vanquished by the Blood Sorcerer. Upon their parents death, they both cast spells on the siblings. The father asked for vengeance, a driving need to come back and reclaim their kingdom from the Blood Sorcerer. The mother sent them all away from the kingdom with a timepiece that connects them all.

This first book is the start of the series with the story of Nicolai and Jane. Nicolai is a sex slave in the kingdom of Delfina, in an alternate dimension from what I would consider our dimension. He is the eldest son in the family, and will take over the kingdom once it has been recaptured. Unfortunately, he has no memory of his time before becoming a sex slave.

Jane Parker is a human in our dimension who has had some tragedy in her life. She is now trying to make peace with her life, staying alone in a cabin in the woods, running and rehabilitating her damaged body from a car accident. A mysterious book shows up on her doorstep and her dreams take her to Nicolai.

When I found out about this new series I was so excited. A die-hard Gena Showalter fan, I instantly pre-ordered the book and waited anxiously for it to arrive on my Kindle. At first it was intriguing, then lost some of its charm, and finally I just didn't like the book. The dialog was flat and often grunted out my Nicolai in one syllable words. Normally the sexual tension builds over the book, but I didn't feel there was any tension. Just plain ole sex. On top of that, the plot was uninteresting. The premise of the series is great and wonderful, I just didn't feel the first book did it justice.

The rest of the series is written by different authors for each book.

The Lord of Rage by Jill Monroe, releasing in October 2011
Lord of the Wolfyn by Jessica Andersen, releasing November 2011
Lord of the Abyss by Nalini Singh, releasing December 2001
While I didn't like this book, I will read the others since they are all done by different authors which may give it a different view and feel.

It is a real shame I have to give this book a low score. It isn't horrible, just disappointing for a fan of Gena Showalter's.