delightedreader

Delighted Reader

Taken by the Cowboy

Taken by the Cowboy - Julianne MacLean When I started this book, I right away knew what was happening, but I kept reading. It seems I have read the first chapter in this book sometime in the past, but never finished it. Or if I did finish it I don’t remember anything but the first chapter. So I was once again interested in this book and started reading it again.

Jessica Delaney is your normal girl. She has a loving mother and father. A brother and a fiancé. When the book opens up, Jessica and her family are in a waiting room at the hospital as her brother is being operated on from a gunshot wound. Jessica is dealing not only the sorrow of the day, but the realization that her fiancé really is self absorb since he wouldn’t even come to the hospital to be with her. The operating doctor comes out and gives the family the bad news that they couldn’t save her brother.

We jump a year into the future and Jessica is driving back to her parents house. She has broken up with her fiancé and is contemplating moving back to Dodge to be with her family. The rainstorm she is driving in is getting worse. She hits a puddle of water, hydro-planes while being hit by lightning and is sent 100 years into the past.

Once Jessica awakens she walks into Dodge, but the Dodge of the 1800s and instantly is accused of gunning down a wanted man. Confused and in denial, Jessica bumbles her way through the interrogation of Sheriff Wade. Wanting to get to the bottom of things and for her protection, Sheriff Wade takes Jessica and locks her up.

Sheriff Truman Wade is a very private man with a past he doesn’t want to share or even revisit. He knows something is suspicious about Jessica, but he just can’t put his finger on it. She is dresses funny and uses words he isn’t familiar with. But he can’t keep Jessica for delivering Lou, dead or alive. So he puts in the reward and releases her to the local lawyer who has become her friend. Still he does some checking and can’t find a record of Jessica anywhere.

When Lou’s gang comes looking for Jessica, Truman feels a need to protect this woman. In protecting his woman, she becomes his woman. Secrets are bared and love overcomes all, including time.

Whoah! This story was so much fun to read. There were delicious love scenes, enough secrets to break your heart and time travel that unites two hearts. There is a heartbreaking ending that also twists you up. I would only say the ending seemed rushed to me and I would have liked to see it in more detail. The time travel element was a little weird especially when it is explained. Sheriff Truman is the alpha male that you drool over in a book. He does everything in his power to protect Jessica and tries hard not to fall in love with her.

Jessica also tries hard not to get involved. She just wants to go back to her time with her family. But as time moves on, events happen and she falls in love with Truman. Through issues and fear, the two embrace and come to terms with their love as the book meets its strategic high point.

This book is a whole lot of yeehaw, finding true love and deciding what you really want out of life. Loved it!