delightedreader

Delighted Reader

Sweet Addiction (Sweet, #6)

Sweet Addiction (Sweet, #6) - Maya Banks Full review at http://delightedreader.com

Have you ever loved a series, but just been so broke you have been able to buy them? Well, I have bought them totally out of order and some even on audio. When I started Sweet Addiction I had only read the first and third book in this series. I totally plan to get the all read, but it will never be in order and that frustrates me since I am a go in the order kind of reader. I am breaking that mode a lot lately.

Sweet Addiction is not for the faint of heart. It deals with some tough issues one of which is a love triangle. Ren is at the center of this triangle. Early in her life she met and fell in love with Cole. He waited patiently for her to grow up to a mature age, but she never doubted he was the dominate man she craved. They experimented with BDSM, but they were both young and inexperienced. When Cole hurts Ren in an accident, Ren forgives him knowing he didn’t intentionally injure her, but Cole can’t forgive himself and leaves her. Broken hearted, both moved on with their lives.

The book is divided into three sections. The first is mostly about Lucas, Ren’s Dom and lover. Owning nightclubs, he is well off and can afford to accommodate his passions. He takes on subs and is loyal and honest with them during their relationship, but they never last forever. He is also known to like to watch other men take his subs, something he has not done with Ren yet. The couple has a very brutally honest relationship built on trust, but neither one realized they had fallen in love, nor admitted it to each other.

When Cole comes back into Ren’s life, her world is turned upside down. He wants her back, but she has moved on. Lucas realizes he loves her and wants to keep her, but to do so she must move on from her past. So Lucas gives Ren to Cole for two weeks at which point he wants Ren back for her to make her decision. What I didn’t like is he never once explains this to Ren. Ren goes into believing she is just being shared with Cole for one night and her trust is severely pushed when Lucas just leaves. I was actually angry at this part of the book at both men, but also at Ren for being so accepting to what ever happened. Sub doesn’t mean doormat!

The second part of the book is Cole’s section. We get to see that he has never found anyone to satisfy him like Ren. Anyone who came close was already claimed by someone else. He works for Damon’s (book #2 is Damon’s) sex club getting subs ready. This isn’t his day job by any stretch. He also successful in real estate and investments. He views this time as his to win Ren back, doing everything he can to show her he won’t leave again.

The final section of the book is Ren’s. She has a decision to make, but there are things that take that decision away. She’s in love with both but really can she have either? Honestly, I am not really sure I like Ren for most of the book. I liked her honesty, recognizing her need for dominance, for pursuing her career, but I felt she got run over by these men and lost her own personality in the mix.

The end was probably the best way to end the book, but I didn’t care for it. Again the guys do something to her and don’t bother to explain it. I know Dom’s don’t need to ask, but when you are dealing with an emotional situation with a sub, you need to be upfront and honest instead of planning a scene to explain it.

This is a darker look at BDSM than what I have seen from Maya Banks before. I by far haven’t read all of her books, but the ones I have are a little lighter. There are menages, anal, spankings, bondage, and more in this book. It is deep. I loved the two heros of the book except for their two slip ups. They were Dominant, but they also read the sub and knew what she wanted and needed. But I found Ren to be to compliant to everything. She didn’t have to be bratty to have a personality, but I didn’t see one from her as much.

Not my favorite in this series, but it was steamy. Some incredibly hot scenes rolled off the Kindle into my senses and I didn’t want to let go. Many layers to each scene both in the bedroom and out. This deals with lost love, new love and the time to heal between. I just wish I had liked it more.