delightedreader

Delighted Reader

Lord of Rage - Jill Monroe Lord of Rage is the second installment in the Royal House of Shadows series with each book by a different author. The first book was Lord of the Vampires by Gena Showalter. In this series, the kingdom of Elden comes under attack by the Blood Sorcerer. Upon their death, the parents of the three princes and one princess cast magic spells on each sibling. The mother casts the spell for them all to survive and each has a time piece that plays into the stories. The father casts the spell of vengeance. Each sibling is cast from the kingdom with these directives and seem to not know what happens without causing themselves pain.

The stories are based upon various fairy tales. Right away you see this one is focused upon Goldilocks and the Three Bears, plus other minor references to other fairy tales. Princess Breena wakes from a dream to find the castle under attack and is quickly whisked away, but not before captured. She sees her parents last act right before she is thrust from the kingdom into a forest. No memory of what happened, she struggles to find help.

Osborn is a warrior of Ursa, carrying the spirit of the bear inside them. We see how Osborn becomes a man and then how his entire race is almost decimated. He escapes with his two younger brothers. To survive, Osborn becomes a mercenary until he realizes his brothers need more. Taking them back to their sacred lands, Osborn raises them in a quiet lifestyle, but he still hungers for vengeance against the ones who killed his family.

When the two meet they both realize they have shared dreams of each other for sometime. They cannot reconcile they belong together and end up fighting more than loving. Breena continues to hear the call for vengeance, and wishes Osborn would help, but Osborn has his own life and it isn’t the life for royalty. How can the two reconcile and find the love they both need?

If you have read my review of the first book, you would know that I wasn’t impressed with the first book in this series. This book improved upon that book by a large lead. I fell in love with Osborn’s character. The need for vengeance against the people who destroyed his family, but having two younger siblings to raise made his heart grow hard. He has a lot of rage in him, both from what happened and from his natural nature and bond with the bear. He is good at the core. Works hard and has a hard job. You just can’t help but fall in love with him.

Princess Breena took a little longer to grow on me. Not that I didn’t like her, just she was a princess with a little spoiled life. That didn’t make her bad or innocent to how to treat others though. She won over Osborn’s brothers quite easily. Never giving up, she tried hard to learn the ways to fight so she could go back and take the kingdom back for her brother. It just took a little longer for me to like her than it did Osborn.

While I have never read a book of Jill Monroe, I quickly fell for her writing style. This will definitely not be my last Jill Monroe book. Her writing style was eloquent and blunt at the same time. She weaved me deeply into the love these two characters longed for and ultimately…well did they get each other in the end…you have to read it to find out.

Big thumbs up for this book!