delightedreader

Delighted Reader

Undercover - Lauren Dane Sera Ayers was left heartbroken 10 years ago by the one man she can never have. Refusing to be his mistress, she leaves him to marry his Ranked bride. Heartbroken, Sera throws herself into a military life and she is good at it.

Ash Walker wanted more than anything to marry Sera 10 years ago, but being a Ranked family made that impossible. Her submission belonged to him and he wanted nothing more than to keep her forever, but all he could offer her was a life as his mistress. Ash’s marriage is long over now and he has thrown himself as well into a military life, but undercover as a rich playboy.

Brandt Pela and Ash have been a team for a long time. While they are not in man-love, they are two dominant men who help each other through some tough times. When Imperialists start targeting the fringes of their society, they must bring on a new team member. Sera is perfect for the team, but how to convince her of this.

Without giving Sera a choice, she is drafted to their team to go undercover. But her cover is the concubine of the mean. How can she fight her attraction knowing that she is unranked to both men’s Ranked status? Not only does she have to fight the attraction of a lost love, but the new budding love she feels for Brandt.

First let me say that there is a lot of sex in this book. Not just a little, but a LOT. The steam just rolled off with each page. They went undercover with Sera playing Brandt’s concubine, so of course they had to be comfortable with each other, leading to some steamy scenes. But Ash still loves Sera and won’t let her go. The three share some extremely hot scenes, with Sera going into subspace it seemed every other page.

That was another things…I have never read a book where one woman goes into subspace so often! Sera does submit and it sounds divine, but she was so lost into subspace so many times.

The story was just ok. They trying to take down Imperialists and traitors within their system. No big surprises on who is behind it. While it was dramatic, it wasn’t suspenseful. I just didn’t feel a huge rush of adrenaline when the take down happened.

Ranked seems to be a big theme in this series. Ranked is where a founding family is part of their government. If you are not part of the Ranked, then you are not represented in the government and cannot marry between the two without the head of the family giving the ok. So here you have two Ranked men and an un-ranked woman. I generally don’t like stories like this. It gets me all political and pissy about concubine rights. But I suspended my thoughts on that subject and just tried to enjoy the story of a different society.

Overall, it is a good book. Not exceptional. I will be reading the books in this series, because my interest is completely peaked!