delightedreader

Delighted Reader

Crash Into You - Roni Loren Full review at Delighted Reader.

I have looked forward to the début of Roni Loren’s new book, Crash Into You, for well over six months. I followed her on Twitter for a long time and wondered what she was talking about when she said she was an author. I couldn’t find her books anywhere. Well, then I learned she was writing them and they had yet to be published. Waiting is over! Her début book is out and now I have the pleasure of reviewing it!

Brynn LeBreck has made a comfortable life for herself helping women in crisis. She has left a lot of tragic events in her past behind, but still suffers from PTSD. Her past is coming back to haunt her when her sister makes a frantic call to her and then goes missing. With bad guys and police alike after her, Brynn’s sister goes into hiding at an exclusive BDSM resort. The only way in for Brynn is as a submissive to the Master she thought she had left.

Reid Jamison has denied his dark, dominant side for years. With a brief love affair with Brynn years ago, he let that side of himself free. When Brynn drops him unexpectedly, he moves on marries and divorces after he cannot deny his dominant feelings any longer. When he needs cheap living arrangements, he takes on a deal with Brynn’s boss to offer pro bono work. But he is also hiding a secret that could break Brynn again and the payback just might be worth it.

Brynn and Reid go undercover to find Brynn’s sister and find that the sparks between them have not gone away. Faced with such intense emotions, they both do very hurtful things to each other, but will that be the end of them?

I had a few things that I loved about the book and a few things I really detested. First, I had such a hard time with the timeline of the story. Each chapter starts with a “Then” or “Now” heading so you can see how the relationship started 10 years ago and where it is going now. That was fine, but the author threw out things like 10 years ago and then saying something like it was three years since they had seen each other. If you are going to through out times like that you need to give some reference to it. We know that Brynn asks something of Reid, but it isn’t clear if she asks it 10 years ago, 5 years ago or 3 years ago. This threw me probably a lot longer than it should have, but timelines are important if you are going to jump around to them in the story.

The second thing I had a problem with is the BDSM seemed weak. Most of the big issues were told correctly, but there is one scene where they jump so far into it that I was floored. It felt like they were playing at BDSM, but then again they were both new to it…10 years ago.

Third…there is a very tragic event in Brynn’s past that happens while they are dating. Now 10 years later you are not sure if she really has healed and even if there is a way to heal from it. Ok, I am going to say it. She is raped. Reid does not know so you can’t blame him for his treatment on this. What you don’t know is if in the 10 years since the rape if Brynn has had sex. You know she wants to find someone but not sure if she can handle the intimate side. But of course, being with Reid it is all good. She does have one very bad episode, but after that, it just seems to fade away. That having the right man makes any problems just disappear.

I don’t want to harp on the bad things because I did in fact like the book. I liked the mystery of finding the sister and the plot twists that are thrown at us. Some of it was easy to figure out but it was interesting to watch it unfold.

While the BDSM seemed a little fake at times, the sex scenes were off the hook! Incredible imagery and emotion is evoked during some of the more taboo scenes. There is a ménage scene, anal sex, spankings, blindfolds, bondage and much more.

I really liked Brynn’s character. After her rape, she turns her life around and decides to help other women faced with the same issues. Counseling clients seems to help her as much as it helps them. We never see a counseling scene, but she does talk about techniques…ones she wants to discard or add based on what she is doing.

Reid’s character was very complex. He has a haunted past that makes him scared to explore his dominant nature. Becoming a lawyer, he has one client he totally believes is innocent. This is where a lot of the friction in present day comes from between the hero and heroine. He isn’t always the most stand up guy. I don’t mean he is crooked, just that he plans on showing Brynn what she is missing and leave her. It is a very human emotions, just one I resented in the book.

Overall, it was a great first book and I look forward to continuing on to the next book in the series due out in July.