delightedreader

Delighted Reader

Belong to Me - Shayla Black Full Review: http://www.delightedreader.com/posts/review-belong-to-me-by-shayla-black/

Belong to Me starts right into the action with Navy Seal Logan Edgington disciplining a sub in his dungeon at Club Dominion. While he loves to peel back the layers on a sub to get to the most vulnerable part of her soul, he feels empty to his own soul. For five years he has been celibate, mourning the loss of the one woman who stole his heart twelve years ago.

We meet FBI analyst Tara Jacob’s being trained to go undercover as a submissive. When her friend is kidnapped by a sex ring, Tara pushes to go into the field as a sub. Making no progress in training, Tara is assigned to Logan and sparks fly instantly. Twelve years ago, Tara’s heart was broken by Logan when he abruptly breaks off their young love after having taken her innocence. Her body responds right away to Logan’s Dominant commands, while her mind thrashes her about, unable to accept Logan back into her life.

As time grows shorter on rescuing Tara’s friend, the two must come to an agreement and push forward in their training. But Logan is determined not to lose Tara again, both on the mission and in his life permanently. She pushes back not trusting Logan, her heart fragile after years of trying to get over Logan. Now engaged, Tara must decide what is important and what the heart wants.

Well I did it! I jumped into the middle of a series without reading the first four books before reading this one. In my defense, I just couldn’t wait to get started. In hindsight, I realized I had read the first two books in the series, so I am only really two books behind. I will be remedying this soon. That aside, you absolutely do not need to have read the earlier books to understand and read this one.

Early on in the story, you get the background story of these two lovers. They were high school sweethearts and the day after they first make love, Logan breaks up with Tara very harshly. There is a reason why he does this, but I want you to read why. So now twelve years later, Tara is engaged, but questioning if she really is in love with him. Logan tried to forget Tara, or his Cherry as he calls her, but finally gives up and goes celibate in an attempt to keep his life together. He trains subs but then hands them off for the sex part to a friend. I felt his pain as he leaves a sub early on, knowing he will end up in the shower dreaming of Tara.

I felt very uncomfortable early on when Logan starts training Tara. I get kind of tired of men, especially Doms, who think they know everything about a sub in minutes. Books are short, I know, to get the entire story in, but he pushes hard on his own agenda to make Tara accept him. He thinks he knows what she needs. And maybe he does, but when a woman doesn’t think she is a submissive, I don’t think it is right to ignore them and start pushing their way in. There really was no trust early on, just Logan working Tara’s body. In effect, he uses her body to change her mind. I don’t mean he forces or rapes her, because he doesn’t. She safe words out on the first scene, which I was so happy to finally see. Most books the heroine just keeps taking it. Not Tara.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, Tara can’t get away from Logan and so the story continues with Logan training Tara up to a public scene at the club. Then their timeline gets accelerated. The suspense hits its peak and you wonder if Logan has imprinted himself completely on Tara or not.

The second thing I had a problem with was the deception. BDSM is all about trust and honesty. Without it, things could go wrong and someone gets hurt. Tara has a very hard time trusting Logan and Logan can’t trust Tara enough to be completely honest with her. But while I had a problem with this, this also help to build the drama of the story, otherwise they would just have fallen in love and gone on mission.

While I had some issues with the story, I really liked it. Logan may have thought he could bind Tara to him with sex, but he was a good Dom. He watched her reactions, using them to further her pleasure. He was considerate, and really does love her. His soul can’t afford to lose her again. This is what made me love Logan so much even if I didn’t always agree with his methods.

Wonderfully delightful book with incredibly sultry love scenes.