delightedreader

Delighted Reader

Snow Job - Delphine Dryden Based on a recommendation, I went looking for books by Delphine Dryden. So many to choose from I decided to start with Snow Job because while it had a spanking mentioned in the blurb, it wasn’t a BDSM book. It is classified as BDSM, but I wouldn’t say this is a BDSM book by a long shot. The entire story is told from the heroine’s point of view.

We meet Elyce Anderson, environmentalist lawyer, as she storms into her soon to be ex-husbands office to complain about a construction development project his company is proposing. Elyce is very nature aware and doesn’t want any development in the area Karl Nash intends to use. Admittedly she never reads the proposal, but immediately starts throwing out that she intends to sue him over use of this land because of a protected shrimp species.

Karl Nash wants Elyce back in his home, bed and life. He makes a deal with Elyce that if she comes on Christmas vacation with him, he won’t develop the land that is in the proposal. As soon as they are at the cabin Karl makes his intentions known. He intends to show her a different side of himself while taking her to bed. He takes her in bed, against the wall and in the bathroom. He even throws in a spanking to show her how serious he really is.

But can sex, even hot sex, make them get back together?

Right off, I didn’t like Elyce. I not really sure I ever really liked her. Marriage is a serious commitment and while I admire her for sticking to her principles when Karl takes on a new job that goes against her principles, I really think she should have talked more to him. Maybe I am naïve, but the story really never goes deep into the why or how they break up. You only get high level details on the circumstances of the why.

Getting past the small problem of not knowing what happened or how they disagreed, you know there was never a problem with attraction. They didn’t really fall out of love. Elyce is still attracted to Karl, but while their divorce is not finalized, she is starting to move on and date. She is dating a client though, which kind of screams unethical. Either way, I didn’t like her client/date at all. From the beginning I wanted to remove the broom stuck up his ass. He ends up doing something very nasty to Elyce that just confirms what an asshole he really is.

While at the cabin with Karl and his family ranging from grandparents all the way down to nieces and nephews, you see the passion and love spring forth from the lovers. While Karl initiates sex in an alpha male way, you know that if she really protested he would have stopped. This was his last-ditch effort to win her back by trying new and passionate ways to express that he still loves her. She does get bratty and he spanks her, but it turns into a truly honest, passionate, sultry, sexy scene of love-making. You start to feel they are connecting and remembering why they originally fell in love.

So while there is a spanking, rough sex against a door, and the bed, I wouldn’t have classified this as a BDSM book. It wasn’t about bondage, discipline, sadism, or masochist. It was a love story of two lovers who got lost along the way and need to find the common ground to get back to each other.

Definitely a must read to renew your faith in love and marriage.