delightedreader

Delighted Reader

A Shot of Sultry - Macy Beckett I haven’t had this much fun with a book in a long time! While there is are serious undertone to the story, there is a lot of times I was laughing all the trouble Bobbi got into!

Bobbi Gallagher’s career as a film maker is on the line after not double checking her references in a documentary. Now video tapping weddings and celebrations seems to be the highlight of her life until she is approached by the creator of those girls gone wild shows. He wants her to work on a story called “Sex in the Sticks.” Find a small town and document men finding love. Bobbi has the perfect town to visit and heads out to Sultry, Texas!

Trey Lewis is Bobbi’s brother’s (Luke) best friend and business partner. They met while in the military but Trey wasn’t honorably discharged after decking an officier. Now he has a chance to wipe his record clean, but he has to do it in the service of the government in Dubai. This is his last summer in Sultry, because he doesn’t know if he is coming back.

When Bobbi arrives she goes about finding candidates for the show all wrong and somehow Trey thinks she is looking for a threesome between them and the sheriff, Cole. But that sets the tone for the back and forth bickering between Bobbie and Trey. Neither are looking for love, relationships or even a one night stand. To top it off, Luke gets Trey to join the show to watch out for his sister, not sleep with her.

The camera man and boom guy follow Trey and Cole around town as they look for “love”. The sheriff isn’t really the most upstanding guy. He makes a lot of sexual references and basically just uses women to run from the past. He constantly is getting Bobbi in trouble. At one point he takes them to a strip club that is getting busted for prostitution. Unfortunately, that didn’t work out so well.
Trey used both hands to brace himself against the wall, and she pulled him free of his briefs. Unfortunately, that’s when a sheriff’s deputy threw open the door, caught Bobbi with her hand around Trey’s erection—and proceeded to arrest her for prostitution.

The book is constantly filled with funny moments like this that left me reading as fast I could to get to the next one. But it wasn’t all fun and games. Digging deeper we find out that Bobbi didn’t have a great life. Luke and Bobbi’s mom was a horrible person. She abandons Luke in Sultry while taking Bobbi with her. Luke gets taken in by a neighbor and his love story in the first book in the series. Bobbi had to live with a woman who was drug addict, sex addict and just plain ignored her. When she dies, Bobbi gets adopted by a gay couple. We never get to meet them, but she talks fondly about them throughout the book. So both Luke and Bobbi think the other had the better end of the deal, when in reality they both suffered from abandonment.

So as the book winds through you see Bobbi and Trey form a relationship but they refrain from talking about the future. A future where Bobbi goes back to produce the show and Trey goes off to clear his military record. They dance around each other as they become more important to each other.

The town of Sultry sounds like a place where I live. People who are noisy, have an opinion but are the best kinds of people to have at your back when the chips are down. A sweet romance between enemies turned friends turned lovers. I can’t wait for the next story in the series. For a fun, slighly emotional trip, this book fits the bill!