delightedreader

Delighted Reader

Thrown by a Curve - Jaci Burton The Play by Play series has been an instant hit with me for a long time. Mick and Tara started me off with football and I haven’t looked back. The last book and this one though have left me wanting for something more. Unfortunately, this one bored me for more than 50% of the book, but I kept plugging.

Alicia Riley is one of the famous Riley’s that this series so far has focused on. Seems like the sports gene runs long and hard through this family. Sports medicine is what this Riley goes into and she is determined to make it far in her field of study.

Garrett Scott is in a jam. Everything has come easy for him. Now sporting a shoulder injury that isn’t healing, he is faced with the possibility he may never pitch again. Frustrated and depressed, he asks Alicia in front of her bosses what she thinks of his injury and he gets the blunt answer he wasn’t necessarily looking for, but needs to hear.

Alicia pretty much lays it on the line that he isn’t doing everything he can in physical therapy and that the bosses are letting him off. Not to mention he isn’t doing his exercises at home. Her big mouth gets her in trouble and placed in charge of rehabbing Garrett so he can hopefully start sometime in the next baseball season.

I am not a huge baseball fan, but that isn’t what stopped me from enjoying this book. Alicia and Garrett spend the first half of the book basically working on healing his shoulder while he whined a lot. She’s blunt to a fault which I appreciate, but so dedicated to her career, she doesn’t often stop and enjoy life. The two seem to want to have chemistry more than I felt they had chemistry.

When they do come together, it just didn’t knock my socks off. The spend a lot of time being honest, then hiding from each other, then being honest, then hiding again. He has family hang up problems. She is so focused on her career she pushes him away without talking.

It all comes together in the end, but by then I wasn’t that vested in the story to really care. I really wanted to love this book as I adore the series. This branch of the Riley family just don’t seem to do it for me. Now I am ready to move on to Gray’s story…who’s he? It looks like Jaci Burton is moving away from the Riley family of athletes and onto Garrett’s college buddies who are all involved in one sport or even two sports. Gray is a race car driver…and I can’t wait for him.

My recommendation is to give this one a pass in the series. It is a little pricey for the amount of pages you get and just not the book I wanted to read. It’s just OK and that is the flaw that will have me jumping fast to the next book in the hopes it gets better.