delightedreader

Delighted Reader

The Officer and the Secret - Jeanette Murray I want to warn readers up front that this is the last book in a trilogy and unfortunately, I haven't read books one or two, but I do own them. I don't normally recommend reading books out of order, but in general I didn't have a hard time understanding this one without having read them. Reading the first two books is high on my list now as I throughly enjoyed this book.

The trilogy is about three marine buddies, Tim, Jeremy and Dwayne. Tim found his love story with Skye and Jeremy with Tim's little sister, Madison. Dewayne Robertson is up next and man did his southern accent (in my mind as well as story) wooed me into loving him from the start.

Dewayne is back from serving a tour only to come home and feel lost when she should feel safe. Little things are setting him off...a torn tire in the road, being woke up with a movie filled with gunfire in the background. Nightmares waking him from sleep. It's a struggle to accept that he is safe when he spent so much time being on high alert. But through it all he had one constant that comforted him, Veronica Gibson, Skye's cousin.

Veronica Gibson keeps her past a well guarded secret from everyone but Skye. Growing up with ultra religious parents who felt it was they life's mission to save other people in third world countries, Veronica lacks the social skills to deal with being an American in modern society. Without a high school diploma, Veronica studies daily for her GED, while working as a waitress to pay the rent on a two bedroom apartment she shares with Madison.

After a passionate kiss with Dewayne where he tells her he is no good for her, Veronica is ready to start dating and move on with her past. But every date she compares to Dewayne till they both can't fight their passionate lust for each other. While both are still dealing with issues, Dewayne has learned that sharing them with his close friends helps in the healing process. But Veronica holds on to her secrets longer than she should. Dewayne hates nothing more than lies and when life throws them a curve ball, the secrets start piling up until the downfall from them almost overwhelms them.

The story is straight forward and you suspect where it is going early on. It doesn't fail to leave you heartbroken, excited, and swooning all at the same time though. These two needed each other in the worst way and through it all, they fight it, fall for it, fight more from it and ultimately...well you have to read to find out.

While this may be the end of the series, I am looking forward to reading the first two books and seeing where these characters came from.

I recommend this story to anyone who loves military men, the women who fall for them and the hard life they lead to protect us. It's a love story that hit all the right notes with me.