delightedreader

Delighted Reader

Trying to Score (Assassins, #2) - Toni Aleo I am a sucker for sports romances. While not a huge hockey fan, nor can I tell you much about how it works, I find I can usually still understand enough to make it through these romance. I even get a tingling to watch hockey and try to get into the sport. Unfortunately this story did nothing for me off the ice.

The story starts with Fallon Parker just having completed her freshman year at Standford and ready to party. With her fake ID in hand, she heads off to meet friends at a bar and locks in her gaze on one man and can't let go. The two flirt and kiss, but right away we learn Lucas Brooks thinks she is the one girl for him.
Jump ahead 8 years later and we catch glimpses back to the past and what happens between these two. For two years they seemed to be happy, but Lucas was hiding a secret from Fallon as well as Fallon kind of didn't acknowledge he was having problems with alcohol. When Fallon catches him drunk, drugged, naked in bed with her college room mate, she walks out of his life with a secret that could have changed them both.

Headed back home to Tennessee, Fallon never reveals her pregnancy to Lucas, and deals with the fall out with her father, who owns the wine company she hope(s) (d) to one day run herself. Sacrificing a lot for her son, she holds onto the bitterness of Lucas's betrayal and never seems to grow beyond it.

Lucas can't remember the night that totally changed his life, but afterwards went further into alcohol and drug addiction until his friend, Levi, and Lucas's mother contront him. Now clean and sober, he is ready to make his come back in hockey and win the Stanely Cup. Also, he wants closer to the one woman he still loves, so he transfers to the Assassins.

Now comes all the explosive stuff that really ruined the story for me. Fallon doesn't understand forgiveness or forgetting. That's fine, but I don't like how she keeps dragging Lucas back to her. Time after time she walks out on him, calls him names, stomps on his heart and generally is a royal (insert nasty name) to him. Still at 80% of the books, she was walking out on him, even after he told her he loved her.
Throw in Fallon lives with her sister Audrey, who is also going through her own problems. Then the son, Aiden, learns he has a father and all that entails. Fallon really screws this kid up over and over with his father. On top of all that, add in Levi living with Lucas as his assistant, but who hates Fallon and let's her know it. He does something that infuriates me, which what was intended.

No, don't take me wrong, with him supposedly cheating, she had a right not to ever love him or forgive him, but she kept feeling things for him she didn't want to. What ticked me off is when she starts something with him and engages his emotions, she constantly throws back in his face what he did as an excuse for everything being wrong. And Lucas, oh, Lucas, loves her so much, he takes her back each and every time she comes back after ripping him apart. The doormat feeling I got from him blew me away. Not only does he forgive her keeping his son away from him for seven years, he pays her an outrageous amount in back support along with monthly child support that blew me away. I wanted him to stand up for what he felt instead of letting her walk all over him.

So no, I couldn't like this story with all of it's bouncing back and forth. Misunderstandings, anger issues, dissatisfaction with your life and a father who doesn't give a crap about you. At the end of the book, I was just worn out and didn't even feel the sex drew me to a better frame of mind. Unfortunately, I can't recommend this story.